محطة ليفربول

محطة ليفربول


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

كانت محطة السكة الحديد الأصلية في ليفربول في شارع كراون. بالإضافة إلى محطة الركاب بمكاتبها وغرف الانتظار والسقف العام ، كانت هناك أيضًا مرافق للسلع وأماكن إقامة لتجار الفحم. في عام 1836 ، تم نقل Crown Street إلى مستودع صيانة البضائع والهندسة.


في محطة ليفربول ستريت

عندما كنت شديد البرودة وجديدًا في لندن ، عدت مرة أخرى على متن قطار إلى محطة ليفربول ستريت بعد أن ذهب الأنبوب الأخير وقضيت الليلة هناك في انتظار أول أنبوب في صباح اليوم التالي. مع القليل من المال وغير مدرك لوجود حافلات ليلية ، قضيت ساعات طويلة ممسوسة بالتناوب بين المخاوف من اختطاف شخص غريب أو إلقاء القبض عليه من قبل الشرطة للتسكع. كان شارع ليفربول مكانًا مختلفًا تمامًا في ذلك الوقت ، حيث كان مظلمًا وهادئًا وشيطانيًا & # 8211 قبل إعادة بنائه في عام 1990 ليصبح البيت الزجاجي الواسع الذي نعرفه جميعًا اليوم & # 8211 وقد قضيت ليلة مرعبة ومثيرة للغاية بعد ذلك يمكنني تذكرها باعتزاز الآن.

كانت محطة Old Liverpool St متاهة والوحش في المتاهة أيضًا. كان هناك الكثير من الأنفاق الملتوية والالتفافية لدرجة أنك شعرت أنك تدخل أحشاء وحش ، وعندما خرجت إلى الردهة كان الأمر كما لو كنت قد وصلت ، مثل يونان أو بينوكيو ، إلى البطن الضخم الضخم.

كنت مسافرًا من قضاء ليلة السبت في كرومر وتوقفت في نورويتش للاستكشاف وزيارة القلعة ودراسة مجموعتها من الألوان المائية لجون سيل كوتمان. لقد أدركت خطئي فقط في القطار الذي توقف ببطء بين نورويتش ولندن مساء الأحد وجلست بفارغ الصبر أتفقد ساعتي في كل محطة ، على أمل أن أعود في الوقت المناسب. عندما وصل القطار إلى شارع ليفربول ، ركضت على الرصيف إلى مدخل الأنفاق فقط لأكتشف أن البوابات مغلقة ، ومغلقة في وقت مبكر من ليلة الأحد.

كان ذلك في أواخر شهر أغسطس وكنت أرتدي ملابسي الصيفية ، وعلى الرغم من أن الجو كان دافئًا في ذلك اليوم ، إلا أن الليل كان باردًا ولم أكن مستعدًا لذلك. إذا كانت هناك غرفة انتظار ، في خوفي المخزي كنت مرعوبًا جدًا للدخول. بدلاً من ذلك ، جلست أرتجف على مقعد في ملابسي البيضاء الرقيقة ممسكًا حقيبتي ، بعيون واسعة وخجولة كماوس & # 8211 وحدي في وسط المحطة المظلمة الفارغة ومع رصيف واسع من المساحة الخالية حولي ، بحيث يمكنني ، على الأقل ، رؤية أي تهديد محتمل يقترب.

كان تقسيم المحطة إلى قسمين عبارة عن منحدرات ضخمة حيث كانت الشاحنات البريدية تتنقل صعودًا وهبوطًا طوال الليل بسرعة كبيرة ، متجهة مباشرة إلى الأرصفة لتوصيل أكياس البريد إلى القطارات المنتظرة. على الرغم من السقف المقبب الشامل ، لم يكن هناك إحساس بوجود مساحة واحدة كما هو الحال اليوم ، بل كان هناك محطة سكة حديد فوضوية تتقاطع مع جسور المشاة ، وتمتد إلى ما وراء زاوية الرؤية مع انحسار الأقواس السوداء إلى أجل غير مسمى بطريقة Piranesi.

مرت الليلة دون أي تهديد ، على الرغم من أنني عندما جاء الفجر شعرت بالارتياح كما لو كنت قد عانيت من محنة روحية ، يمكن مقارنتها بليلة في منزل مسكون في الأفلام المخيفة التي أحببتها كثيرًا في ذلك الوقت. لقد كانت نقطة ضعفي الشخصية كأنني خارج البرج مقابل رعب المدينة البابلية غير المعروفة ، ولكن إذا كنت قد عرفت حينها ما كنت أعرفه الآن & # 8211 ، كان بإمكاني السير إلى سوق سبيتالفيلدز للفواكه والخضروات وأمضى الليل في أحد المقاهي هناك ، آمنًا في شرنقة الحياة الليلية في السوق.

مذنب ، وحريصة على الحفاظ على سر وقفتي الاحتجاجية الحمقاء ، أخذت الأنبوب الأول إلى المكتب في غرب لندن حيث عملت حينها وغيرت ملابسي في حجرة المرحاض ، ووصلت إلى مكتبي قبل ساعات من أي شخص آخر.

تم الاحتفاظ بالسقف المقبب وفندق Great Eastern فقط في التحول الدرامي الذي أدى إلى إنشاء المحطة الحديثة ، المحصورة بين التطورات الجديدة ، والكاتدرائية المظلمة حيث قضيت الليلة قد ولت. ومع ذلك ، فإن المغناطيسية تجذبني باستمرار إلى شارع ليفربول ، ليس فقط للمشي من خلاله ، ولكن لقضاء بعض الوقت في التساؤل عن الدراما الملحمية للحياة في هذه المحطة الشاسعة حيث يتدفق تيار من الإنسانية يتدرب مرتين في اليوم & # 8211 واحدة من أعظم مشاهد من مدينتنا غير العادية.

بعد فترة وجيزة من ليلتي في تجربة المحطة ، حصلت على وظيفة في معهد Bishopsgate & # 8211 وأصبح Liverpool St و Spitalfields مألوفين ، ويتم الوصول إليهما عبر الأنفاق الممتدة خارج المحطة أسفل الطريق ، مما يوصلني مباشرةً إلى مكان عملي. لاحظت في ذلك اليوم أن مدخل النفق لا يزال على جانب Spitalfields من Bishopsgate ، على الرغم من أنه تم سدّه الآن. وتساءلت عاطفيًا ، بشوق تقريبًا ، إذا كان بإمكاني الدخول في الأمر ، هل يمكنني الخروج إلى محطة ليفربول ستريت القديمة ، وأزور الذكرى المسكونة لماضي؟

نقش من الطوب لقطار بخاري على الجزء الخلفي من فندق Great Eastern.

تم بناء محطة شارع ليفربول في موقع مستشفى بيت لحم ، المعروف باسم & # 8220Bedlam. & # 8221


محطة ليفربول للصرافة: ننظر إلى الوراء على هذه المحطة الشهيرة بعد 165 عامًا من افتتاحها

عرض المعرض

لا تزال الواجهة الضخمة التي تطل على شارع Tithebarn تتلألأ أسفل مورفيلدز - لكن محطة Liverpool Exchange مكان أكثر هدوءًا الآن مما كانت عليه في ذروتها.

كان Exchange في يوم من الأيام أحد أكبر محطات السكك الحديدية في الشمال الغربي. كانت الخطوط المحلية إلى ساوثبورت وبريستون وويغان مليئة بالركاب ، بينما كانت هناك أيضًا قطارات مباشرة متجهة إلى أماكن بعيدة مثل يوركشاير واسكتلندا.

افتتحت أول محطة في شارع Tithebarn منذ 165 عامًا في هذا الشهر ، في مايو 1850 ، لتحل محل محطة أصغر في شارع Great Howard Street. أطلق عليها سكة حديد لانكشاير ويوركشاير اسم شارع ليفربول تيثبارن ، لكن سكك حديد شرق لانكشاير أطلق عليها اسم ليفربول إكستشينج.

جلست تلك المحطة الأولى فوق الشارع على أقواس من الطوب ، بحيث يمكن للخطوط الموجودة خلفها عبور قناة ليدز ليفربول. ولكن مع نمو حركة المسافرين ، سرعان ما أصبحت غير كافية - لذلك أعيد بناؤها من عام 1884 إلى عام 1888.

كان أمام المحطة فندق Exchange في شارع Tithebarn. مر الركاب عبر أقواس عملاقة إلى المحطة نفسها ، مع منصاتها العشر تحت سقف زجاجي عملاق. تعرضت المحطة لأضرار بالغة في الغارة عام 1941 ، لكن الخدمات عادت إلى طبيعتها بحلول عام 1942.

بحلول أوائل الستينيات ، كانت المحطة مشغولة كما كانت دائمًا ، لكن Beeching كانت تقطع بعض الشيء. بحلول عام 1968 ، كانت خدمتها إلى جلاسجو سنترال آخر خدمة نقل ركاب بخارية متبقية في المملكة المتحدة. وعندما تم سحب ذلك في عام 1970 ، كانت المحطة تخدم فقط ساوثبورت وأورمسكيرك وبولتون.

تم تحديد مصير المحطة عندما ، في عام 1971 ، أكد البرلمان خطط لبناء خطوط مترو أنفاق تربط بين محطات وسط مدينة ليفربول.

في 29 أبريل 1977 ، غادرت الخدمة الأخيرة Exchange. وفي يوم الاثنين ، 2 مايو ، غادرت الخدمة الأولى المحطة التي خلفتها ، مورفيلدز. سرعان ما تم مسح انتشار ومنصات Exchange ، على الرغم من بقاء واجهة الفندق وتحويلها لاحقًا إلى مبنى مكاتب ، Mercury Court ، في عام 2013 ، خضع هذا المبنى لتجديد بقيمة 5 ملايين جنيه إسترليني وتمت إعادة تسميته بـ Exchange Station.

حتى ما وراء الواجهة ، لا يزال هناك الكثير من الآثار المتبقية للمحطة. هناك جذع لمنصة في موقف السيارات ، حيث لم تسفر خطط إعادة التطوير حتى الآن عن أي شيء ، بينما يمكن رؤية قاعدة جدرانها على الجانب الغربي من مركز Pall Mall. وخارج شارع ليدز ، لا تزال الأقواس التي تحمل المسار الذي كان يؤدي إلى المحطة تقف بفخر.


وجه متغير لمحطة Liverpool Lime Street على مدار 200 عام من تاريخها

لقد كانت بوابة المدينة منذ ما يقرب من 200 عام وهي أقدم محطة رئيسية كبيرة لا تزال تعمل في العالم.

منذ افتتاحها في أغسطس 1836 ، نمت محطة Lime Street لتصبح واحدة من أكثر محطات السكك الحديدية ازدحامًا في المملكة المتحدة ، ونقطة انطلاق للرحلات إلى لندن وجميع المدن الرئيسية.

أحدث تحديث للمحطة بقيمة 140 مليون جنيه إسترليني بواسطة Network Rail جلب جميع المنصات العشر قيد الاستخدام لزيادة سعة المحطة.

في أغسطس الماضي ، ألقينا نظرة على الوجه المتغير لمركز النقل الرئيسي هذا على مر السنين.

إنه يتغير باستمرار ، مع افتتاح ستاربكس جديد ، وإطلاق امتياز حلويات في منطقة كونكورس المحطة

وعلى مدى تاريخها الطويل ، استقبلت المحطة الملوك ورؤساء الوزراء - وحتى فريق كرة القدم الكوري الشمالي.

تلقي النشرات الإخبارية مع آخر الأخبار والرياضة وما هو على التحديثات من Liverpool ECHO من خلال التسجيل هنا.

محطة سكة حديد ، شارع لايم ، ليفربول ، 1838. Credit: NRM Pictorial Collection / Science & amp Society Picture Library

منظر جوي لشارع لايم ، يُظهر المحطة ، وقاعة سانت جورج ، ومسرح إمباير وعمود ويلينجتون ، في أوائل الثلاثينيات - لا تزال سينما ABC الشهيرة قيد الإنشاء

إجلاء أطفال شارع ليفربول لايم صيف عام 1939

محطة شارع لايم ، ليفربول (السنة غير معروفة)

إحدى الأرصفة في محطة Lime Street محملة بالبضائع ليتم نقلها بالقطار في أغسطس 1945

الأميرة إليزابيث والأمير فيليب في ليفربول. الزوجان الملكيان في محطة لايم ستريت. في الصورة في ليفربول بعد عودتهم من جولة ملكية. نوفمبر 1951.

محطة ليفربول لايم ستريت. فبراير 1953

قطار بخاري يقوده أحد سكان لندن هو واحد من القلائل الذين غادروا شارع ليفربول لايم متوجهاً إلى لندن يوستون ، خلال إضراب السكك الحديدية عام 1955

شارع لايم في ليفربول عام 1957

الأفيال في شارع لايم ، ليفربول ، في أوائل الستينيات: كين روجرز 14/1/2018

جلالة الملكة إليزابيث الثانية ، يليها عن كثب زوجها الأمير فيليب ، دوق إدنبرة ، تغادر القطار الملكي في محطة لايم ستريت ، ليفربول لحضور خطوبة مسائية في بداية جولتهم في لانكشاير. مايو 1961.

يصطف المصطافون في محطة لايم ستريت في أغسطس 1963

واجهة محطة سكة حديد Liverpool Lime Street من سانت جورج بلاتو. 14 مايو 1964.

فريق إيفرتون لكرة القدم في محطة لايم ستريت أثناء مغادرتهم إلى ويمبلي للمشاركة في نهائي كأس الاتحاد الإنجليزي ضد شيفيلد وينزداي. 13 مايو 1966.

كرة القدم - كأس العالم 1966. وصول فريق كوريا الشمالية لكرة القدم إلى محطة لايم ستريت في ليفربول. & نسخ ديلي ميرور WCF0905

توقف رئيس الوزراء هارولد ويلسون للحديث مع مجموعة من الأطفال الذين قابلوا قطاره في محطة لايم ستريت ، ليفربول. 2 يوليو 1966.

اصطفت سيارات الأجرة في انتظار الركاب خارج محطة سكة حديد ليفربول لايم ستريت. 19 أغسطس 1966

منظر داخل محطة سكة حديد Lime Street في وسط ليفربول ، يظهر قطار لندن الساعة 2:30 مساءً على وشك المغادرة من الرصيف 7. تم التقاط الصورة: 12 يناير 1967.

1T57 & quotFifteen Guinea Special & quot ، آخر قطار ركاب رئيسي يتم نقله بواسطة قاطرة بخارية على السكك الحديدية البريطانية في 11 أغسطس 1968 قبل تطبيق حظر البخار الذي بدأ في اليوم التالي. تم عرض القطار مرة أخرى في محطة Lime Street بعد الانتهاء من المرحلة الثانية من رحلة العودة من مانشستر فيكتوريا. 11 أغسطس 1968.

تصور بيل شانكلي ، مدرب ليفربول ، مع فريقه ، وهو يحمل حدوة حصان محظوظًا في محطة سكة حديد لايم ستريت ، قبل رحلة فريقه إلى لندن للمشاركة في نهائي كأس الاتحاد الإنجليزي ضد أرسنال في ويمبلي. 6 مايو 1971.

محطة لايم ستريت ، ليفربول. 25 فبراير 1975.

امتلأ شارع لايم بالمشجعين من جميع الأعمار تكريما لجون لينون. 27 ديسمبر 1980.

تم اكتشاف العجلة التي سحبت القطارات إلى محطة Lime Street من Edge Hill في عام 1836 مدفونة تحت المنصة 4 أثناء التحسينات في Lime Street في عام 1983

صورة محطة Lime Street قبل هدم Concourse House

كانت واجهة محطة لايم ستريت مخبأة خلف صف من المحلات التجارية

نهج محطة شارع لايم والمتاجر المتهدمة

هنا ، يمكننا أن نرى رؤية أفضل للعمل المنجز في المحطة في عام 2009

(الصورة: جوجل ستريت فيو) 27 من 30

الممثل الكوميدي ليفربول الراحل كين دود أمام تمثاله في محطة لايم ستريت في ليفربول. حقوق النشر: ديلي ميرور

في محطة Liverpool Lime Street التي تم تجديدها ، تم إخراج المنصة 1 السابقة في الطرف البعيد من الاستخدام وأعيد ترقيم المنصات الأخرى


ليفربول

احتفالًا بعيد ميلادها 800 في عام 2007 ، تطور ميناء مدينة ليفربول العظيم الآن من قرية صيد صغيرة على ضفاف نهر ميرسي في شمال غرب إنجلترا. من المحتمل أن يكون اسمها قد تطور أيضًا من المصطلح ليفر بول يعني بركة موحلة أو بركة.

ليست كبيرة بما يكفي حتى لتبرير ذكرها في كتاب يوم القيامة لعام 1086 ، يبدو أن ليفربول قد انتعشت إلى الحياة عندما منحها الملك جون ميثاقًا ملكيًا في عام 1207. كان جون بحاجة إلى إنشاء ميناء في شمال غرب إنجلترا يمكنه من خلاله إرسال رجال ورجال بسرعة. الإمدادات عبر البحر لتعزيز مصالحه في أيرلندا. بالإضافة إلى الميناء ، بدأ أيضًا سوق أسبوعي جذب بالطبع الناس من جميع أنحاء المنطقة إلى ليفربول حتى تم بناء قلعة صغيرة.

سمح ميثاق آخر مُنح لقوم ليفربول في عام 1229 لتجار ليفربول بالحق في تكوين أنفسهم في نقابة. في إنجلترا في العصور الوسطى ، أدارت نقابة Merchant & # 8217s المدن بفعالية وتم انتخاب أول عمدة لليفربول في عام 1351.

بحلول القرن الرابع عشر ، تشير التقديرات إلى أن عدد سكان ليفربول في العصور الوسطى بلغ حوالي 1000 شخص ، كان الكثير منهم مزارعين وصيادين مع تجار مثل الجزارين والخبازين والنجارين والحدادين الذين يدعمون المستوطنة الصغيرة ولكن المتنامية.

على مدى القرون القليلة التالية ، بدأت ليفربول في تطوير سمعتها كميناء تجاري ، حيث استوردت جلود الحيوانات بشكل أساسي من أيرلندا ، بينما كانت تصدر الحديد والصوف.

حصل ليفربول على دعم مالي عندما تم حامية أعداد كبيرة من القوات الإنجليزية في المنطقة قبل نقلها إلى أيرلندا لإخماد التمردات في القرنين السادس عشر وأوائل القرن السابع عشر. كانت مدينة ليفربول لا تزال صغيرة نسبيًا في عام 1600 ، وكان عدد سكانها بالكاد 2000 نسمة.

في عام 1642 بدأت الحرب الأهلية الإنجليزية بين الملكيين الموالين للملك والبرلمان. بعد تبادل الأيدي عدة مرات تعرضت ليفربول للهجوم ونهب المدينة في النهاية من قبل الجيش الملكي بقيادة الأمير روبرت في عام 1644. قُتل العديد من سكان المدينة في المعركة.

بقي ليفربول في أيدي الملكيين فقط لبضعة أسابيع ، عندما هُزموا في صيف عام 1644 في معركة مارستون مور. بعد المعركة ، سيطر البرلمانيون على معظم شمال إنجلترا ، بما في ذلك ليفربول.

بدأت ليفربول في التوسع بسرعة في أواخر القرن السابع عشر مع نمو المستعمرات الإنجليزية في أمريكا الشمالية وجزر الهند الغربية. كانت ليفربول في وضع جيد جغرافيًا للتجارة مع هذه المستعمرات الجديدة عبر المحيط الأطلسي وازدهرت المدينة. ظهرت مبانٍ جديدة من الحجر والطوب في جميع أنحاء المدينة.

سجل مؤرخ من القرن السابع عشر: & # 8216It & # 8217s مدينة تجارية غنية جدًا ، والمنازل مبنية من الطوب والحجر ، ومبنية على ارتفاع عالٍ وحتى يبدو الشارع وسيمًا للغاية. & # 8230 هناك وفرة من الأشخاص الذين يرتدون ملابس أنيقة وعصرية. ... إنها لندن في صورة مصغرة بقدر ما رأيت أي شيء. هناك تبادل جميل جدا. ... قاعة مدينة وسيم جدا. & # 8217

تم دفع هذا النمو الهائل والازدهار ، بشكل أساسي ، من خلال التجارة المثلثية سيئة السمعة للسكر والتبغ والعبيد بين جزر الهند الغربية وأفريقيا والأمريكتين. نظرًا لكونها في وضع استراتيجي لاستغلال مثل هذه التجارة عبر المحيط الأطلسي ، سرعان ما أصبحت ليفربول المدينة الأسرع نموًا في العالم.

أُجبر الوافدون الجدد الذين وصلوا بشكل رئيسي من أيرلندا وويلز على العيش في ظروف مروعة مع منازل مكتظة تفتقر إلى المجاري.

عطلت حرب الاستقلال الأمريكية التي بدأت عام 1775 تجارة ليفربول مع المستعمرات لفترة قصيرة. حتى أن القراصنة الأمريكيين بدأوا في مهاجمة السفن التجارية الإنجليزية التي تتاجر مع جزر الهند الغربية ، واستولوا على السفن وصادروا بضائعهم.

على الرغم من بناء أول رصيف في ليفربول في عام 1715 ، تمت إضافة أربعة أرصفة أخرى في القرن الثامن عشر حيث نمت ليفربول لتصبح ثالث أكبر ميناء في البلاد بعد لندن وبريستول. باعتبارها أقرب ميناء لمانشستر ، استفادت ليفربول أيضًا بشكل كبير من نمو صناعة القطن في لانكشاير.

بحلول عام 1851 ، وصل عدد سكان ليفربول إلى أكثر من 300000 نسمة ، العديد منهم من بينهم مهاجرون إيرلنديون فروا من مجاعة البطاطس في أربعينيات القرن التاسع عشر.

بعد الحرب الأهلية الأمريكية التي اندلعت من عام 1861 إلى عام 1865 ، انخفض اعتماد ليفربول على تجارة الرقيق. من ناحية أخرى ، كانت الصناعة التحويلية مزدهرة ، لا سيما في مجالات مثل بناء السفن وصنع الحبال وتشغيل المعادن وتكرير السكر وصنع الآلات.

بعد بناء عدة أرصفة جديدة ، أصبحت ليفربول أكبر ميناء بريطاني خارج لندن بحلول نهاية القرن. تم الانتهاء من قناة سفينة مانشستر في عام 1894.

انعكست ثروة ليفربول المتزايدة في العديد من المباني والمباني العامة الرائعة التي ظهرت في جميع أنحاء المدينة بما في ذلك قاعة فيلهارمونيك التي بنيت عام 1849 ، والمكتبة المركزية (1852) ، وقاعة سانت جورج رقم 8217 (1854) ، ومكتبة ويليام براون (1860) ، وستانلي. مستشفى (1867) ومعرض ووكر للفنون (1877) ، على سبيل المثال لا الحصر. افتتح ستانلي بارك في عام 1870 وتبعه سيفتون بارك في عام 1872.

أصبحت ليفربول مدينة رسميًا في عام 1880 ، وفي ذلك الوقت زاد عدد سكانها إلى أكثر من 600 ألف نسمة.

في مطلع القرن ، تم تحويل الترام للعمل بالكهرباء وتم بناء بعض المباني الأكثر شهرة في ليفربول ، بما في ذلك مباني ليفر وكونارد.

خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية ، مثلت ليفربول هدفًا واضحًا كميناء استراتيجي وكمركز تصنيع نشط ، وأصبحت ثاني أكثر المدن تعرضًا للقصف في بريطانيا. لقي ما يقرب من 4000 شخص مصرعهم وتحولت مناطق واسعة من المدينة إلى أنقاض.

"وإذا كنت تريد كاتدرائية ، فلدينا واحدة لتجنيبها ..." تم تكريس الكاتدرائية الرومانية الكاثوليكية في عام 1967 مع اكتمال الكاتدرائية الأنجليكانية في عام 1978.

عانى ليفربول بشدة من الركود الذي شهدته البلاد في السبعينيات والثمانينيات ، مع ارتفاع معدلات البطالة وأعمال الشغب في الشوارع. ومع ذلك ، منذ أواخر الثمانينيات ، بدأت المدينة في التعافي ، مدعومة بالنمو الجديد وإعادة التطوير ، لا سيما في مناطق الرصيف. تم افتتاح العديد من المتاحف الجديدة للاحتفال بتاريخ المدينة وتراثها ، وفي عام 2008 اجتمع سكان ليفربول والسراويل على حد سواء للاحتفال عندما أصبحت ليفربول عاصمة الثقافة الأوروبية.

متحفس
شاهد خريطتنا التفاعلية للمتاحف في بريطانيا للحصول على تفاصيل المعارض والمتاحف المحلية.

الوصول إلى هنا
يمكن الوصول إلى ليفربول بسهولة عن طريق البر والسكك الحديدية ، يرجى تجربة دليل السفر في المملكة المتحدة للحصول على مزيد من المعلومات.


ميناء حاسم - ليفربول في الحرب العالمية الثانية

خدم ليفربول كميناء حيوي خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية ، ولم يغلق أبدًا على الرغم من كونه هدفًا لغارات القصف المتكررة.

انقر هنا لتكبير الصورة الجوية.

كانت المدينة شريان الحياة للتجارة البحرية البريطانية ، كونها نقطة الدخول الرئيسية للوقود والأغذية والمواد الخام المستوردة. كما كانت بمثابة المحور الاستراتيجي لأطول حملة في الحرب ، معركة المحيط الأطلسي.

كانت البحرية الملكية البريطانية - الأكبر في العالم - قوة هائلة ، لذلك ركزت القوات الألمانية جهودها بدلاً من ذلك على تدمير الشحن التجاري. على اليابسة ، تحملت مدينة ليفربول العبء الأكبر من ذلك ، في حين غرقت أكثر من 2000 سفينة تجارية بريطانية وحلفاء في شمال المحيط الأطلسي خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية.

كان الجنود الأمريكيون استيرادًا آخر جاء عبر ليفربول. هنا يهتفون ويعطون علامة V حيث ترسو سفينتهم قلعة أثلون في ليفربول. © IWM

في سبتمبر 1939 ، تم إجلاء ما يقرب من 100000 طفل وأم من ميرسيسايد ، ولكن عندما فشلت القنابل في الظهور في الأشهر القليلة التالية ، عاد الكثير منهم إلى ديارهم. سرعان ما فروا مرة أخرى حيث بدأت القنابل تتساقط في أواخر عام 1940 ، مما أدى إلى إتلاف سكة حديد ليفربول العلوية و كاتدرائية ليفربول الانجليكانية.

كثير من وابينغ دوك تم تدميره في وقت مبكر أيضًا. كانت الأرصفة والمستودعات والسكك الحديدية والمصانع هي الأهداف الرئيسية ، لكن ميرسيسايد بأكملها عانت من خسارة 10000 منزل و 4000 شخص على مدار الحرب.

مات العديد من السجناء عندما والتون جول أصيب ، وقتل 165 شخصا عندما الملجأ في كلية في يوم طريق دورنينج ، إيدج هيل، فشل في حمايتهم. كان من المقرر أن يأتي أسوأ مطر من الضربات في الفترة من 20 إلى 22 ديسمبر ، غارات عيد الميلاد ، والتي أودت بحياة 365 شخصًا. حوالي 40 من هذه الوفيات حدثت عندما أقواس السكك الحديدية في شارع بنتيك (التي كانت تستخدم كمأوى غير رسمي) تعرضت للقصف. كنيسة القديس نيكولاس - "كنيسة البحار" - تعرضت لأضرار بالغة ، ولكن أعيد بناؤها لاحقًا وكشف النقاب عن نصب تذكاري في عام 2000.

نصب تذكاري للمدنيين الذين قتلوا في الغارة على ليفربول ، مع سانت نيكولاس في الخلفية. بإذن من توني سيبنتالر ، وسط مدينة ليفربول.

تم الدفاع عن ليفربول من قبل مقاتلي سلاح الجو الملكي البريطاني ، الذين كانوا متمركزين في سبيك وكذلك مواقع في شيشاير وشروبشاير وويلز وبلاكبول. أشعلوا النيران الشائكة على مصب نهر دي التي جذبت العديد من القنابل المخصصة لميرسيسايد.

أصبحت بالونات القنابل مشهدا مألوفا فوق ليفربول ، حيث منعت القاذفات من الهجوم على عمق 5000 قدم. ومع ذلك ، على الرغم من فرض انقطاع التيار الكهربائي ، تمكنت الطائرات الألمانية بسهولة من العثور على ليفربول من الساحل الويلزي ، والتحقق من موقعها عن طريق أشعة الراديو وأضواء دبلن المحايدة.

كانت غواصات يو الألمانية بلاء البحرية التجارية. جلادستون دوك أصبحت موطنًا لأسطول مضاد للقوارب ، وكانت قاعدة للمرافقين عبر المحيط الأطلسي وكاسحات الألغام. تم وضع حقل ألغام يتم التحكم فيه إلكترونيًا بين الرصيف ونيو برايتون في ويرال.

تمثال الكابتن جوني ووكر. بإذن من توني سيبنتالر ، وسط مدينة ليفربول.

في رأس الرصيف هو تمثال للكابتن "FJ" جوني ووكر ، الذي قاد أنجح أسطول مضاد للغواصات في جلادستون دوك. لقد عمل بلا كلل ، وتم الاعتراف به من أجله ، ولكنه أدى أيضًا إلى وفاته المبكرة في عام 1944. وهناك أيضًا نصب تذكاري لـ 1390 بحارًا في البحرية التجارية.

ال كاميل ليرد بنى حوض بناء السفن في بيركينهيد العديد من السفن الحربية والسفن التجارية للقوات البحرية. مرت إحدى السفن بأول رحلة مأساوية - غرقت غواصة من طراز T-class HMS Thetis في أول غوص لها في يونيو 1939 ، وأخذت معها معظم الطاقم. دير بيركينهيد يحتوي برج الساعة على سلسلة من اللوحات التذكارية لكل رجل مات. يطل البرج على حوض بناء السفن (الذي تم شراؤه في التسعينيات). تم إنقاذ HMS Thetis وخدم في الحرب باسم HMS Thunderbolt.

إيست فلوت ، بيركينهيد، هي موطن لمجموعة من المحفوظات ، بما في ذلك واحدة من آخر قوارب U الألمانية التي أغرقها الحلفاء.

HM Submarine SPUR تغادر حوض بناء السفن Cammel Lairds في تجارب قبولها. © IWM

في عام 1940 ، عانت الحكومة بشدة من الرعايا الأجانب الذين يعيشون في بريطانيا ، وخاصة في المناطق الساحلية ، خشية أن يكونوا جواسيس. تم القبض على المهاجرين الألمان والنمساويين ووضعهم في معسكرات اعتقال مع حراس عسكريين. ومن المفارقات أن العديد من هؤلاء الأشخاص كانوا يهودًا أو فكريين أو لاجئين فنيين من النظام النازي. حتى أن بعضهم خدم في الجانب البريطاني في الحرب العالمية الأولى ، أو كان لديهم أقارب في قوات الحلفاء في ذلك الوقت.

عقار مجلس جديد في هويتون تم تسييجها بأسلاك شائكة ارتفاعها ثمانية أقدام وتحولت إلى أحد أكبر معسكرات الاعتقال. شغل بعض المتدربين أنفسهم من خلال إلقاء المحاضرات والأداء ، ومن ثم أصبح المعسكر معروفًا باسم جامعة Huyton.

وجهت المصانع في ليفربول أنظارها إلى المجهود الحربي ، مع يعمل Rootes في Speke تشغيل 60 قاذفة قنابل هاليفاكس في الأسبوع. مصانع الذخائر الملكية في فازكيرلي و كيركبي أنتجت رشاشات وبنادق وصواعق وقذائف على التوالي.

نساء ينتجن أغطية قذيفة في مصنع ذخائر تحت الأرض ، ليفربول ، حوالي عام 1945. © IWM

كان مصنع القذائف مكانًا خطيرًا للعمل ، مع وجود مخاطر عالية للانفجارات. فقد العمال أصابعهم وأيديهم وبصرهم. تلقى عمال كيركبي 37 جائزة لأعمال الشجاعة خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية.

كان معظم العمال في Fazakerley من النساء المحليات ، ولكن كانت هناك حاجة إلى المزيد من الموظفين المهرة ، لذلك في عام 1941 جلبت الحكومة العمال من جزر الهند الغربية إلى المصانع الشمالية الغربية.

مصنع Littlewoods والتون هول أفينيو تم تسليمها لتصنيع قاذفات ولينغتون وتم تسليم مقر الشركة "Pools" إلى خدمة الرقابة البريدية MC5.

جامعة ليفربول يتمتع بشرف مشكوك فيه لكونه موطنًا للبحث المبكر في القنبلة الذرية ، الذي أجراه جيمس تشادويك وجوزيف روتبلات.

مبنى Littlewoods Pools في Edge Lane. © ديف وودز ، تصوير ليفربول

في عام 1941 ، انتقل مقر قيادة المناهج الغربية من بليموث إلى ليفربول. كانت مهمتها هي الإشراف على التسليم الآمن للإمدادات والمعدات إلى بريطانيا - لم تكن بليموث في وضع جيد لأن القوات الألمانية يمكن أن تهاجمها بسهولة نسبيًا عبر القنال من شمال فرنسا.

كان مقر المقر الرئيسي في ديربي هاوس، مبنى مكاتب يعود إلى ثلاثينيات القرن الماضي خلف مبنى البلدية. أصبح قبوها الآمن مقرًا مشتركًا للمنطقة لسلاح الجو الملكي والبحرية الملكية ، حيث عملوا في عمليات الأطلسي ، مشيرين إلى خرائط جدارية ضخمة لمياه شمال الأطلسي ومياه بريطانيا. تم اعتبار مركز الأعصاب هذا مهمًا جدًا لدرجة أنه تم وضع منشآت مكررة تحت الأرض في منزل اللورد ديربي في كنوسلي ، في حالة وصول قنبلة إلى ديربي هاوس.

الزنزانة ، أو القلعة ، كما كان يُعرف بالمقر الرئيسي ، هي الآن متحف المناهج الغربية، حيث يمكن للزوار رؤية ما كان عليه الحال بالنسبة إلى Waafs و Wrens الكادحين الذين أمسكوا مصير السفن البريطانية بأيديهم. انقر هنا لقراءة قصة WAAF على موقع BBC People's War على الويب.

دمار في وسط المدينة. © IWM

الطابق العلوي من الجوار مبنى الصرف جاء لإيواء الوحدة التكتيكية للنهج الغربي (WATU) في يناير 1942. دربت الوحدة ضباط البحرية على التكتيكات المضادة للقوارب ، مما أدى إلى نجاح أكبر في معركة الأطلسي.

معرض معركة الأطلسي في متحف ميرسيسايد البحرييروي ألبرت دوك قصة البحارة الشجعان المتورطين. جنود فوج الملك في ليفربودلي لديهم مجموعتهم الخاصة في متحف ليفربول لايف، والتي تتضمن مواد عن دورهم في الحرب العالمية الثانية.

حصدت May Blitz ، في عام 1941 ، أكثر من 1500 شخص في ميرسيسايد. جاء المئات من القاذفات الألمانية في ليالٍ متتالية من 1 إلى 7 مايو ، وكانت الليلة الثالثة هي الأسوأ. في 3 مايو ، اشتعلت النيران في SS Malakand ، المحملة بألف طن من الذخائر ، وانفجرت ودمرت هسكيسون دوك. تم تفجير قطع من السفينة على بعد أميال ، وتسببت في مزيد من الضرر للسكك الحديدية العلوية. موقع حرب الشعب لديه قصة شخصية من May Blitz هنا.

تطهير بعد غارة جوية على ليفربول. © IWM

ألحقت أضرار جسيمة بالمنطقة بأكملها - تم تعطيل نصف الأرصفة واستغرق الأمر الآلاف من الأشخاص والقوات لتطهير شوارع المدينة. من سانت لوك ، هاردمان ستريت، لا تزال قائمة.

تم تشكيل متحف ليفربول العالمي ، الذي تم افتتاحه في أبريل 2005 ، من متحف ليفربول ، وتم تدميره عندما أصيب بقنبلة حارقة في مايو Blitz. تمت إزالة المجموعات بالفعل كإجراء احترازي ، ولكن تم 15 عامًا قبل إعادة بناء المتحف. لم يتم إعادة بناء مبانٍ مهمة أخرى ، مثل مبنى الجمارك ، الذي كان يقف في مكانه حديقة تشافاس هو الآن.

وكان مكتب البريد الرئيسي (شارع فيكتوريا) ، والمكتبة المركزية (شارع ويليام براون) ، وكورن إكستشينج (كاسل ستريت) ، ومسرح روتوندا (طريق ستانلي ، بوتل) ومتجر لويس (شارع رينشو) ضحايا آخرين للغارة.

القديس لوقا - الكنيسة التي تعرضت للقصف. © ديف وودز ليفربول مصورة

جاء القصف الأخير لليفربول في يناير 1942 وتم هدمه شارع ستانهوب العلوي.

الرقابة على وسائل الإعلام - التي تهدف إلى رفع الروح المعنوية وإبقاء العدو في الظلام - تعني أن أي تقارير وصفت ليفربول ببساطة بأنها "بلدة شمالية" والتفجيرات بأنها "حوادث". المواطنون الذين عانوا من الفظائع التي لحقت بالميناء شعروا أن ليفربول كان مقومًا بأقل من قيمته الحقيقية. خسر مالكو السفن في ليفربول 3 ملايين طن من الشحن واستغرق الأمر سنوات قبل إعادة بناء المدينة.

بعد عشر سنوات من هجوم ماي بليتز ، تم الكشف عن نصب تذكاري في المقبرة الجماعية لـ 550 "Unknown Warriors" في مقبرة أنفيلد. أيضا في عام 1951 ، مبنى مدرسة Bluecoat (الآن مركز Bluecoat للفنون) في School Lane تمت ترميمه - لوحة فوق المدخل تقول: "سقطت من السماء من قبل مشاعل العدو ودمرت جزئيًا في 4 مايو 1941." تم تدمير جزء من ليفربول ، لكن قوة سكان ليفربول والمتمركزين هناك ساعدت بشكل كبير في كسب الحرب.

بفضل متحف الحرب الإمبراطورية الشمالية للصور من معرض الشمال في الحرب ، الذي يحكي قصة العديد من المدن الشمالية ، بما في ذلك ليفربول ، خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية ويستمر حتى 8 يناير 2006

قم بزيارة صفحة فهرس 24 Hour Museum VE Day الرئيسية للتعرف على أحداث ماضيك المستقبلي واستكشاف الموارد المتعلقة بالحرب العالمية الثانية - بما في ذلك المسارات والميزات والأخبار والمراجعات.

تم تمويل قسم المسار التذكاري هذا من قبل صندوق اليانصيب الكبير من خلال MLA.


سكة حديد ليفربول ومانشستر

قدم نظام سكة حديد ليفربول ومانشستر (L & ampMR) أول محطات سكك حديدية للركاب في العالم حيث تم نقل الخدمات بواسطة قاطرات محددة الوقت. تم افتتاح خط السكة الحديد في 15 سبتمبر 1830 وكان يمتد في الأصل من محطة ركاب ليفربول و # 8217s [شارع كراون] إلى المحطة الطرفية في مانشستر [طريق ليفربول]. وهكذا أصبحت L & ampMR أيضًا أول خط سكة حديد بين المدن.

امتد الطريق حوالي 31 ميلاً (50 كم) وكان إنجازًا هندسيًا بارزًا في عصره. تضمنت أول نفق للسكك الحديدية في العالم رقم 8217 تحت مدينة رئيسية: تم ملل نفق Wapping بطول 1.3 ميل (2 كم) من خلال الحجر الرملي من محطة Wapping Goods ، في الطرف الجنوبي من أرصفة ليفربول ، إلى منطقة Edge Hill. تضمنت السكة الحديدية أيضًا جسرًا ، يتألف من 9 أقواس ، عبر وادي سانكي وقطع صخري بطول ميلين في جبل الزيتون. عندما تم فتح الخط ، نقلت قاطرة "صاروخ" جورج ستيفنسون عددًا من الشخصيات المرموقة ، بما في ذلك رئيس الوزراء آنذاك ، دوق ويلينجتون.

صورة أرشيفية لقطع Edge Hill وبوابات الأنفاق الثلاثة. الصورة: مايكل ديلامار.

كانت حافلات الركاب تسافر [عبر نفق قصير] من محطة شارع كراون إلى إيدج هيل بالجاذبية ويتم نقلها بواسطة الكابلات بواسطة محركات متعرجة [في شارع كراون] عند العودة. سيتم بعد ذلك إرفاق القاطرات في إيدج هيل للرحلة إلى مانشستر. تم استبدال Liverpool & # 8217s Crown Street لاحقًا بمحطة جديدة في Lime Street ، بعد أن تقرر تحويل حركة مرور الركاب عبر نفق جديد بين Edge Hill و Lime Street. بدأ العمل في النفق في 23 مايو 1832 وافتتحت محطة Lime Street الجديدة في 15 أغسطس 1836. في وقت لاحق ، تم استبدال محطة قطار Manchester Victoria الجديدة في مانشستر فيكتوريا في 4 مايو 1844 ، عندما تم تمديد الخط للانضمام سكة حديد مانشستر ولييدز.


التصنيف: محطة شارع ليفربول

محطة ليفربول ستريت، وتسمى أيضا لندن ليفربول ستريت، هي محطة سكة حديد رئيسية ومتصلة بمحطة مترو أنفاق لندن في الركن الشمالي الشرقي من مدينة لندن ، الحي المالي الرئيسي ، مع مداخل على شارع Bishopsgate وشارع Liverpool Street نفسه. يتصل مركز تسوق صغير على الجانب الغربي من المحطة ببرودجيت سيركل. إنها واحدة من سبعة عشر محطة سكك حديدية في المملكة المتحدة تديرها Network Rail. تقع المحطة في Travelcard Zone 1.

1200 مللي ثانية 47.2٪؟ 400 ms 15.7% Scribunto_LuaSandboxCallback::getEntityStatements 200 ms 7.9% Scribunto_LuaSandboxCallback::getExpandedArgument 140 ms 5.5% type 120 ms 4.7% (for generator) 80 ms 3.1% Scribunto_LuaSandboxCallback::getLabel 80 ms 3.1% Scribunto_LuaSandboxCallback::gsub 60 ms 2.4% newFrame 40 ms 1.6% pcall 40 ms 1.6% [others] 180 ms 7.1% Number of Wikibase entities loaded: 24/400 -->


Lost train stations that have been confined to history

These are the forgotten railway stations and train lines of Merseyside that remain hidden right beneath our feet.

Over the years a number of once thriving transport hubs have been confined to history, with the routes becoming disused and neglected.

But while these lost stations are no longer in use on Merseyside&aposs rail network, they remain a fascinating reminder of our region&aposs pasy.

From one former station which was transformed into glossy office space to another which is now used as a paint shop.

We compiled a list of some of our region&aposs lost railway stations - and what the sites are used for today.

There are dozens of lost stations, including one hidden away just beyond the Baltic Triangle, as well as former stations that played a vital role in bygone industries.

Here are some of Merseyside&aposs lost train stations and railway lines.

View historical photos from your area with Memory Lane by entering your postcode below:

Exchange station used to be one of the biggest rail termini in the North West. Lines ran from the station to Southport, Preston and Wigan.

The station also had direct trains as far away as Yorkshire and Scotland.

The first station was fronted by the Exchange Hotel, in Tithebarn Street, where passengers passed through giant arches into the station itself, with its 10 platforms under a giant glass roof.

The station was badly damaged in the Blitz of 1941, but services were back to normal by 1942.

The last service to depart from from Exchange station left on April 29, 1977. The station was replaced by Moorfields, which opened that same year.

Join our Liverpool memories and history group

We have launched a Facebook group to bring you more photos, nostalgia and memories in one place.

It features pictures, stories and fond memories connected to Merseyside.

St James station opened on March 1, 1874, on the Cheshire Line Committee&aposs (CLC) main line between Liverpool and Manchester.

Located at the junction of Parliament Street and St James&apos Place, opposite St James&apos Church, the station was built into a deep cutting on the south side Parliament Street.

The single storey building had four arched windows and, at its western end, an arched entrance doorway. The building also had a booking office and a waiting room.

Three lines ran through the station, which had two platforms, and the middle line was used for moving locomotives and empty stock.

In October 1913, seven people were killed and more than 60 injured after an accident in the station.

The station closed in 1917 as a wartime cost-cutting measure but never reopened.

There has recently been talk of possibly reopening the station to coincide with the development of the nearby Baltic Triangle.

Ditton Station, Widnes

Ditton station, close to the Mersey Gateway Bridge, opened in 1871 but was shut in 1994 following the privatisation of British Rail.

The station buildings were later demolished in 2005.

The station is known for being one of the two that inspired Paul Simon&aposs hit song Homeward Bound.

There are hopes that the station may one day reopen with the potential to serve journeys through Merseyside, Cheshire and even north Wales.

The station opened in 1892 and shut in 1960, three years before the first Beeching report that led to the closure of thousands of miles of railways.

A subway at the station connected to four platforms situated on an embankment above street level.

The closure of Sefton Park station was agreed in March 1960.

A Liverpool newspaper report from the time said the station was losing £2,000 a year and that it would have cost British Railways £35,000 to rebuild and modernise it.

While no traces of the station remain at track level, at street level the booking office can still be seen as its currently in use as a paint shop.

Victoria and Waterloo tunnels

While not a disused station, the Victoria and Waterloo tunnels are two well preserved examples of Liverpool&aposs old rail infrastructure.

The tunnels stretch from Edge Hill station to Great Howard Street by the waterfront.

The tunnels have been disused for decades but are still in remarkably good condition.

These stunning photos show the inside of the disused rail tunnels below the street.

The line that passed through the tunnels once ran from Great Howard Street to the former Riverside passenger station on the waterfront.

The bridge over the old railway line was replaced by a £32m project paid for by the Department for Transport.


Liverpool Station - History

History of the Atlantic Cable & Undersea Communications
from the first submarine cable of 1850 to the worldwide fiber optic network

مقدمة: Before the introduction of the electric telegraph in the 1840s, signals were carried over long distances by various optical methods: signal fires, flags, and semaphores. In this article Bill Glover gives the history of a semaphore telegraph system which ran along the Welsh coast and in to Liverpool.

A contemporary account from the Mechanics&rsquo Magazine of the construction and operation of the telegraph is appended.

Liverpool - Holyhead Semaphore Telegraph

Prior to the establishment of the Semaphore Telegraph ships approaching Liverpool were signalled to their owners by means of flags on Bidston Hill. At its peak there were 103 poles and masts sited on the hill. The watchman who reported the signals was initially located on a warehouse in Chapel Street, then on the tower of St. Nicholas Church and lastly on Tower Buildings.

Bidston Hill: flags used for signalling the arrival of ships heading for Liverpool

In 1824 the Liverpool Dock Trustees applied to Parliament for authority to make improvements to Liverpool Docks and in response an Act of Parliament was passed on 27 June 1825 &lsquofor the further improvement of the Port, Harbour, and Town of Liverpool,&rsquo which authorised the Liverpool Dock Trustees to:

&ldquoestablish a speedy Mode of Communication to the Ship-owners and Merchants at Liverpool of the arrival of Ships and Vessels off the Port of Liverpool or the Coast of Wales, by building, erecting and maintaining Signal Houses, Telegraphs or such other Modes of Communication as to them shall seem expedient, between Liverpool and Hoylake, or between Liverpool and the Isle of Anglesea.&rdquo

The following year the Trustees authorised Barnard Lindsay Watson to carry out a survey. Watson reported back that the cost of the line he proposed would be £1700 for the stations and appropriate equipment. He recommended stations at Liverpool, Bidston, Hoylake, Golden Grove, Hill Beyond Abergele, Great Ormes Head, Round Table Penmon, Llaneilian, Llanfaithlu, Holyhead. On 1 August 1826 the sub-committee set up to oversee the project reported in favour and work commenced immediately. The line was amended and stations were erected at Liverpool, Bidston, Hilbre Island, Voel Nant, Foryd, Llysfaen, Great Ormes Head, Puffin Island, Point Lynas, Carreglwyd, Holyhead.

Route of the telegraph after the 1841 changes
Holyhead Mountain - Cefdnu - Point Lynas - Puffin Island - Great Ormes
Head - Llysfaen - Foryd - Voel Nant - Hilbre Island - Bidston - Liverpool

The stations consisted of basic living accommodation, the signalling equipment being a ships mast about 50 feet high fitted with three pairs of moveable arms. The top pair indicated &lsquohundreds,&rsquo the middle pair &lsquotens&rsquo and the bottom pair &lsquounits.&rsquo

Llysfaen Station, now privately owned

Point Lynas Station, now privately owned

Signalling was based on the transmission of numbers based on a code produced by Barnard Watson, published as &ldquoWatson&rsquos Liverpool Telegraphic List of Ships&rsquo Names, with the method of making signals, and a table showing the time of high water of the principal headlands and harbours.&rdquo This assigned a number to each ship, but included only ships registered at Liverpool. Later versions expanded the listing to other ships for example, this 1840 edition: &ldquoWatson&rsquos General Telegraphic List of Ships&rsquo Names, for Vessels of all Nations&rdquo.

On approaching Holyhead an incoming ship would first transmit its number by means of signal flags and if any further information needed to be sent the appropriate signal would be sent from the ship. These messages would then be relayed to Liverpool where the owners or their agents could arrange a berth and storage facilities for their goods or provide any additional services required by the vessel.

Flags used by ships to signal Holyhead Semaphore Station

Semaphore signals used on the Holyhead Liverpool Semaphore Telegraph

The first ship to be reported was the Napoleon on 26 October 1827, the news of its safe arrival in England was taken back to its American owners by the Josephine. This message travelled as far as Bidston, completing its journey by messenger, at the time the Liverpool station was unfinished. The first message passed over the completed line on 5 November 1827 reported a change of wind direction at Holyhead from SW. to W. Transmission time of this message was 5 minutes.

Letter sent from Liverpool to Alabama via Charleston on the SS Nimrod:
&ldquoThe فيكتوريا from New York was telegraphed this afternoon&rdquo

Hilbre Island Signal Station, West Kirby

During 1840-41 the stations were rebuilt with proper living accommodation and this time with two wrought iron towers, each with two pairs of moveable arms. The exception to this was Port Lynas, which was fitted with two towers but did not have its accommodation replaced until 1854.

Three stations were moved during the rebuilding: Carreglwyd was abandoned and the new station was built at Cefndu, and Voel Nant was moved about 400 feet down the hill on which it was situated. Foryd was moved twice the second time because the Chester-Holyhead Railway Company wanted the land on which the second station stood.

The Great Orme goats feature prominently in this engraving of the Great Orme telegraphic station, which was built in 1826, rebuilt in 1841, and closed in 1863. The arms display the number 142

With the four sets of arms it was now possible to signal as follows:-

Top left pair, &lsquoThousands&rsquo
Bottom left pair &lsquoHundreds&rsquo
Top right pair &lsquoTens&rsquo
Bottom right pair &lsquoUnits&rsquo.

The positions of the arms for the various numbers were the same as on the single masts. The code used was one devised by Lieutenant William Lord RN.

The Semaphore was finally abandoned in 1861.

A story on the speed of the system after it had been in use for about nine years was published in a number of newspapers in 1836. This version is from the Shrewsbury Chronicle issue of 21 October that year:

EXTRAORDINARY RAPIDITY OF COMMUNICATION.

We have been permitted to make extracts from the official log book kept at the Liverpool Telegraph office, and by it we are in possession of instances of such extraordinary rapidity of communication as appears almost incredible.

It appears to be a rule in this office frequently to send a communication exactly at one o&rsquoclock, through the whole line from Liverpool to Holyhead, in order that the different signal-men may regulate their time-pieces: this is done by a peculiar signal made exactly as the clock strikes one, which notifies the time, and asks the question, &ldquois there any thing to report?&rdquo An acknowledgement or answer to this is returned, either &ldquoYes,&rdquo or &ldquoNo,&rdquo as the case may be. The distance from Liverpool to Holyhead, from station to station, is 72 Miles, hence there and back 144 miles, and this signal and answer is considered unusually long if it occupies one minute.

We find from the extracts above-mentioned, that in the month of September, in which by-the-by, we have had much stormy and bad weather, this signal has been sent on 18 different days: the distance the signal must have passed in these 18 times must be 2592 miles, which has been done in the incredibly short space of 16 minutes and five seconds, being an average of 161 miles per minute. In 17 of the days mentioned, the distance being 2448 miles, the time occupied was 14 minutes five seconds, average 175 miles per minute. In 11 of the shortest periods, the distance was 1584 miles, time occupied 7 minutes 5 seconds, average 223 miles per minute.

In taking the five quickest communications during the month, we find the distance to have been 720 miles, the time occupied two minutes 36 seconds, being an average of 288 miles per minute. The shortest time during the month was on the 10th, when the signal passed, and the answer was received in 25 seconds. When it is considered that there are 11 different telegraph stations, and only one man at each station, this will appear the more extraordinary, and speaks favourably of the management of Lieutenant Watson, under whose superintendence the telegraph was first established and still continues.
& -Liverpool Paper.


Commemorative teapot:
&ldquoThe Telegraph Station, Llandudno&rdquo
This view is actually of the lighthouse, halfway down the hill.
Detail of the image

Telegraph Hotel, Great Orme&rsquos Head, Llandudno
Built on the site of the Telegraph Station, near the summit, the hotel was taken over by the RAF in 1939 and used as a Radar Station. The hotel and the lighthouse are still there today.

In 1850 Edwin Clarke approached the Trustees with regard to replacing the Semaphore with an electric telegraph, but his offer was turned down, as was the 1851 approach. In March 1855 the Mercantile Association made its feelings known to the Trustees about the state of the telegraph. A year later the Trustees finally bowed to the inevitable and approached the Electric Telegraph Co and the Magnetic Telegraph Co for quotes, both of which were rejected. They undertook the work themselves using contractors to build the landlines and lay the cables.

Holyhead was linked to Point Lynas by landline Point Lynas to Great Ormes Head by submarine cable Great Ormes Head to Voel Nant, again by landline. There was then a submarine cable to Hilbre Island another submarine cable to the east bank of the River Dee a landline to Bidston and finally a connection to Liverpool via a cable under the River Mersey. The cables were manufactured and laid by Glass Elliot & Co in 1858, using the chartered vessel حازم.

At Holyhead and Great Ormes Head the electric telegraph was first installed in the Semaphore Station but later moved, in the case of Holyhead to a house near the South Stack lighthouse, and on the Great Orme to the lighthouse itself.

The line was never a great success and the cables gave continual problems. In 1860 Mr. Evans, the Line Superintendent, reported that the &ldquoelectric telegraph between Liverpool and Holyhead has been several times interrupted by accidents to the cable. It is now in good working order between Birkenhead and Holyhead. It was found impossible to maintain the cable between Point Lynas and the Great Orme and so it was replaced by a landline.&rdquo The cable across the Mersey also suffered damage by ships&rsquo anchors and it was not until 5 February 1861 that the electric telegraph connected Liverpool to Holyhead.

These extracts from an article in the Mechanics&rsquo Magazine of 24 November 1827 give further details of the semaphore telegraph&rsquos construction and operation.

LIEUTENANT WATSON&rsquoS TELEGRAPH

A new system of telegraphic communication has been just established between the ports of Liverpool and Holyhead, which is remarkable both for the novel construction of the telegraphs, and the new purposes to which they are applied. The lines of telegraphs hitherto established in England and France (the only two countries in which this mode of transmitting intelligence has yet been introduced) have been wholly employed for government objects. We ought, perhaps, to except the line between London and Newmarket, which the well-known Richard Lovell Edgeworth established in 1767, to enable his eccentric and sporting friend, Sir Francis Blake Delaval, to obtain early tidings of the fate of his turf speculations but it existed for so short a time, and was employed to so limited an extent, that it may be considered as but giving an evanescent hint, how applicable this system of communication might be made to all sorts of purposes.

The line of telegraphs which has commenced working between Liverpool and Holyhead, is undoubtedly the first which has been established for commercial and private correspondence, and for the common benefit of all who choose to avail themselves of it (with the restrictions afterwards mentioned). It owes its formation to the ingenuity and enterprise of Lieutenant Watson, and to the public spirit of the trustees of the Liverpool Docks, who have defrayed the whole expense (about £2000), and allow the use of it, gratuitously, to the owners, agents, and captains, of all vessels paying dock dues.

This line consists of ten different stations, viz, Liverpool, Bidston, Hilbre Island, Voel Nant, Llysfaen, Great Ormes Head, Puffins Island, Llaneilian, Gareglwyd, and Holyhead keeping, it will be observed, along the coast the whole way&mdashthe weather being found more frequently clear in the vicinity of the sea than inland. The distance, in a right line, along these stations, is seventy-two miles making the average distance between each, eight miles.

.

Construction of Lieut. Watson&rsquos Telegraph.

The telegraph of Lieut. Watson, as represented in the engraving prefixed to this article, consists of a mast of Baltic timber, 50 feet high, and 22 inches in diameter (including the oak fishes or slabs girt round it with iron hoops) it is stayed from the top by four strong chains fixed into the rock. There is also a top-mast 27 feet high. In the principal mast are fixed three pairs of arms, moveable by pulleys and halliards* playing in grooves cut through the centre of the mast, and worked from a small observatory built round the foot.

*The halliards are made partly of chain and partly of rope the lower part is of rope, which is made as short as possible, from its liability to be affected la length by the weather.

The arms are of African oak, painted black, and measure 7 feet 6 inches long by 16 inches wide when not extended, they fall into the grooves of the mast, and are invisible.

Each of the three pairs of arms is capable of assuming six positions, with only one arm extended at once, viz. 1st, an oblique inclination upwards at an angle of 45 degrees 2d, a horizontal position and 3d, an oblique inclination downwards. Three other positions are assigned for each pair, which require both the arms to be extended at once, as is shown in the drawing.

This telegraph, is adapted to the numerical system that is, all words, names, sentences, &c. are expressed by [numbers or figures previously arranged in a printed vocabulary. It is also as capable of الإملائية, when a proper name or uncommon word should occur, as any other telegraph. The numerical system may be briefly explained. Each number, as we have said, is made to signify a certain letter, word, or sentence, according to a fixed system. The first 26 numbers signify the letters of the alphabet 1 signifies A, 2 B, 3 C, &c. The numbers from 27 to 58 are appropriated to the points of the compass 27 signifies North, 28 N. by E. &c. The numbers from 62 to 185 are appropriated to portions of زمن, from a second to two years, and including the hours of the day, and days of the month. The numbers beyond this, to the extent of more than seven thousand, are appropriated to a vocabulary of words and sentences, which will be best understood by the following specimen from the work Lieut. Watson is about to publish:&mdash

لا.
180 A.
187 Aback.
188 Heave all aback.
189 Taken aback.
190 Abaft v. Aft.
191 Abaft the beam.
إلخ.

After the vocabulary comes a list of merchants&rsquo names, to the number of some hundreds, each of which has its several number in the printed work. Then follows a gazetteer, including many hundreds of seaports, towns, and countries. And last of all come the names of vessels belonging to or frequenting the port of Liverpool.

It may seem difficult to express with certainty so many different numbers by the telegraph but, when explained, the process is quite easy. The total number of distinct words, names, &c. in the vocabulary, is nearly 10,000, which are divided into classes of 999 each. Now, the telegraph can express any number from 1 to 999 at a single operation. It has been seen that each pair of arms is capable of nine positions, and to these positions the figures from 1 to 9 are determinately affixed. It is then arranged that the uppermost pair of arms indicate المئات, the middle pair tens, and the lowest pair الوحدات. Thus, suppose one of the upper arms to indicate 2, the middle arm 5, and the lower arm 3, the number is 253: suppose the upper pair to indicate 7, the middle pair 8, and the lower pair 9, the number would be 789. A cypher or 0 is not needed, because the absence of any movement in the middle or lower arms would sufficiently indicate the cypher. Suppose No. 1 to be extended in the upper pair, without any indication in the pairs below, the number would be 100: suppose No. 1 to be extended in the middle pair, without any indication either of the upper or lower pairs, the number would be 10.

But as the telegraph will only express three figures at a time, the number indicated cannot be above 999. To increase the powers of the instrument, therefore, تسع مختلف الطبقات are made, each of them containing 999 numbers. The signal man, in making his signal, indicates in the first instance, by the upper pair of arms, of what class the number is which he is about to express. Suppose he says Class 1. No. 195: this is found, on referring to the vocabulary, to signify &ldquoAbandoned by the crew.&rdquo And so of all the other classes. By the use of combinations, such as are employed in the Admiralty Semaphore, this telegraph might express any number, however large but Lieut. Watson thinks it better to avoid the use of these combinations, as they are not necessary in a machine so comprehensive as his, whilst they make the operations much more complicated.

The signal-man at each station is continually on the look-out for signals from the next telegraph. When he sees the first signal, he makes a signal himself to show that he perceives it and then, going to the ropes by which the machine is worked, he repeats the signal to the next station. If the message should consist of more than one signal, as is generally the case, the first is repeated before the second is made and thus, if the message should contain nine signals, the first part of it would be in Liverpool at the time that the last part left Holyhead. Although the signal-man does not see the arms of his own telegraph move, from being in the small house immediately beneath it, yet he has not the least difficulty in operating with precision. At the end of each halliard is an iron weight, which just balances the arms and in this weight is a bolt, which fits into holes made in the mast at those exact points where the halliard should be pulled to, in order to raise the arms to the required positions. To render the telegraphs available for communicating with vessels along the coast, the mast can be turned round, so as to present the machine broad-side to the sea.

This brings us to the system of communicating between vessels at sea and the telegraph. For this purpose a series of nine flags is used, so differently coloured as to be easily distinguishable. Each of these flags represents a number or figure, from 1 to 9, and three of them, displayed at once at the main-top, one above the other, will indicate any number up to 999. By hoisting a signal on the fore-mast to indicate the class, it is obvious that as many numbers can be represented as by the land telegraph. If a vessel in distress were to hoist the signal of Class IV. on the foremast, and 816 by three flags at the main-top, the signal-man at the telegraph would look at the vocabulary, and instantly find that Class IV. No. 816, was "Has sprung a leak." No. 818, under the same class, would signify "Leak increases, and is dangerous." The answer might be given, Class 1. No. 196 "Do not abandon the vessel" followed by Class VII. No. 83, and Class VI. No. 334, which together signify "A steam-boat is gone to relieve the vessel in distress."

The chief purpose to which Mr. Watson&rsquos line of telegraphs is at present applied, is to report, first, the state of the wind daily at Holyhead second, the vessels passing that place outward or homeward bound third, the state of any vessel in distress, or in need of assistance, along the whole intervening line of coast fourth, any important information, either political or commercial, from Ireland or America&mdashmade known in the latter case at Holyhead by the signals of homeward-bound vessels. But there are various other purposes which these telegraphs may be made to answer. The difficulty is to say what kind of correspondence they may not serve to conduct. We know not, indeed, that it will deprive the post-office of the love-letters which now pass through it, though we see no reason why it should not. On the contrary, its swiftness is admirably adapted for the communications of impatient lovers.

Love&rsquos heralds should be thoughts
Therefore do nimble-pinioned doves draw
love, And therefore hath the wind-swift Cupid
أجنحة.

So said sweet Juliet and had she had a telegraph, it would have made her happy, and spared her nurse&rsquos bones nay, it might have saved the life of her Romeo. A sigh or avow might be wafted from London to Bath or Cheltenham in a few seconds: a lover might thus most conspicuously signalize his devotion to the fair one of his heart and the pining mistress might learn from the expanded arms of the telegraph how soon she should be restored to the arms of her betrothed. We dare to say that Lieut. Watson will assist any couple about to endure the pangs of absence, to adapt a Cupid&rsquos vocabulary to his telegraph. Nay, we shall show them by and bye how they may do it without his assistance, and with such secrecy that the tenderest breathings may be conveyed under an impenetrable cypher. Paper may be violated, wax may be melted, but a telegraphic love-letter would be more mysterious than the enigma of the sphynx, as well as swifter than the flight of &lsquoVenus&rsquo doves.&rsquo

At all events, every kind of commercial intelligence might be conveyed with certainty and secrecy by this method. The two correspondents, being each provided with a vocabulary, have only to agree to add a certain number, say 5, 6, or 7, to the numbers given to the signalman of the telegraph, and thus it would be impossible for him to understand a word. Instead of 381, the No. 386 might be given instead of 260, the No. 265 and the correspondent at the other end, knowing that he ought to deduct 5 from each number, would immediately discover the meaning. Even more intricate methods will easily occur to every one. Between such towns as Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Hull, Birmingham, and London, this species of communication would be highly valuable.

In time of war, the utility of the telegraph from Holyhead to Liverpool would be extremely great. No enemy&rsquos ship or privateer could approach any part of the coast, without its being instantly known at every station and all kinds of important intelligence might be conveyed with the same rapidity.

It seems very probable that many improvements may yet be made in the telegraph, to adapt it more entirely to every species of communication though to us it appears to be already greatly simplified in the system we have described, and capable of being almost universally applied.

Last revised: 22 December, 2019

Search all pages on the Atlantic Cable site:

Research Material Needed

The Atlantic Cable website is non-commercial, and its mission is to make available on line as much information as possible.


شاهد الفيديو: Jürgen Klopps pre-match press conference. Watford